Bedford Bridge 5e
Engraver: Green, V. and Jukes, F.
View of the medieval stone bridge crossing the River Ouse at Bedford. The artist is celebrated English watercolourist Paul Sandby. The bridge was erected around 1224 and stood for 600 years, until an Act of Parliament in 1803 ordered the repair of the decaying bridge. Between 1811 and 1813, a new stone bridge was built here in the Georgian style. Daniel Defoe, writing in the early 18th century described Bedford as "a large, populous, and thriving town, and a pleasant well-built place; it has five parish churches, a very fine stone bridge over the Ouse...a very handsome fair street ... full of very good inns".