Artist and engraver: Baker, James
View of Beeston Castle which stands upon a dramatic, steep hill top with mountains on each side. It was built by Randle Blundville, Earl of Chester in c.1220. but it was reverted to the Crown in 1237. The castle was built with an inner and outer bailey. Its gradually fell into disuse and remains are few because after the Civil War its defences were destroyed and its stones quarried for other buildings. One of the few standing buildings is the inner gatehouse with its two semi-circular towers, which date from the 13th century.