Bathorne House the Seat of George Pyke Esqr.
Artist and engraver: Strutt, J.
Medium: Aquatint with etching
View of Baythorn Park in Essex in 1793. White's History, Directory and Gazetteer of 1848 records of the estate 'Baythorn Hall, an old mansion near the Swan, is the property of King Viall, Esq., who also owns the larger and more elegant mansion of Baythorn Park, which has extensive grounds, and stands on a bold acclivity above the river Stour, but is now unoccupied. The latter was built in 1668 by George Pyke, whose father purchased the estate in 1640, and whose descendant, of the same name, took down the gate and court walls in 1801, and new-fronted, sashed, and greatly improved the house. The park was formerly stocked with deer and has some fine large trees, especially several large oak pollards. A clump of alders in the hall gardens are much admired, each being about seven feet in girth, at the height of five feet from the ground.'