Medium: Aquatint, coloured
View of a cottage in Brighstone Downs, sometimes called Brixton Downs, in the Isle of Wight. The downs are located seven miles from Newport on the south west coat of the Island. In W. H. Davenport Adams’ book ‘The Isle of Wight; Its History, Topography and Antiquities’, published in 1862, the village here is aptly described; “… it lies on a sunny table-land, open to the warm breezes of the south, and defended against bitter winds by a range of lofty downs, whose green sides are forever dappled with changing shadows. All about it are blossomy gardens hidden away among silent hills and ‘eternal whisperings around’ of the distant sea”.