Bengeo near Hertford
Medium: Aquatint, coloured
View of St Leonard’s church in Bengeo, Hertfordshire. A Norman church, built in approximately 1120, it is one of one three churches with an apse (an arched or domed roof) in the county. The church stands on top of a hill looking down on the River Lea and Hertford town centre. The stone altar slab at St.Leonard's originally came from the church of St.Mary the Less, which once stood nearby (the public library stands there today). The porch was added in the 18th century but the door to the church is thought to date from the 14th century.