Benedictine Nunnery at Sopewell, St Albans
View of the ruins of Sopwell Nunnery, near St Albans in Hertfordshire. The Benedictine nunnery was founded in 1140 by Abbot Geoffrey for nuns serving at St Albans Cathedral. It is thought that the nunnery was built on the site of an earlier hermitage. Juliana Berners became prioress of sopewell nunnery in the 15th century. She was very learned and wrote works about Heraldry and fishing which were some of the earliest printed books in the English language. The nunnery was closed during the dissolution of the monasteries in the 16th century. The estate was sold to Sir Richard Lee.