Brighthelmstone church, Sussex
St Nicholas', the parish church of Brighton, is situated on a hill outside the old town. Daniel Defoe visited the town in the early 18th century, noting "Bright Helmston, commonly call'd Bredhemston, a poor fishing town, old built, and on the very edge of the sea". The parish church was built of flint in the 14th century and has a low embattled tower. It was drastically restored in 1853.