Brough Castle, Westmorland
Medium: Pencil and ink on paper
Brough is a village off the modern A66. This ruined castle lies on the top of a cliff known Swindale Beck. It was built as a stronghold for William Rufus around 1095 on the site of a Roman fort. The keep was then rebuilt after the castle was besieged by William the Lion, King of Scotland, in 1174. A hall range was built in 14th century, but the castle fell gradually into ruin after it was struck by fires in 1521 and 1666.