Brougham Castle, Westmorland
Engraver: Buck, Nathanial & Buck, Samuel
Brougham Castle was built in the 12th century. It was owned by the Clifford family from the late 13th century until the death of Lady Anne Clifford, the Countess of Pembroke, in 1676. The countess had the castle restored in 1651-52, noting that it "had layen ruinous ever since about August 1617".
Brougham Castle lies to the north-west of a Roman fort at the crossing of the roads from Yorkshire and Lancashire. It was described around the time of this image as "a lofty pile, square, with square towers, slightly salient from some of the corners."