Artist: Rooker, Michel Angelo
Bishopthorpe is the archbishop of York's palace. Originally a manor house, it was bought in the 13th century by Archbishop Grey, who added added a chapel. Successive archbishops extended the house, leading to a new north front in 1480-1500, and a new river facade in 1660-4. The new front described in this view is the work of Thomas Atkinson, who added an entrance range for Archbishop Drummond between 1763 and 1769. This is an important example of an 18th-century Gothic facade on an otherwise classically styled building, with its crocketed ogee windows and an entrance porch of Gothic shafts decorating a symmetrical, pedimented building.