View of the new gatehouse of Bishopthorpe, the Archbishop of York's palace. Originally a manor house, it was bought in the 13th century by Archbishop Grey, who added a chapel. It was extended by successive archbishops, leading to a new north front in 1480-1500 and a new river facade in 1660-4. The new gateway described in this view is the work of Thomas Atkinson. Between 1763 and 1769, he added an entrance range for Archbishop Drummond. Decorated in the Gothic style, with its buttresses and pinnacles, it complements the entrance range and porch. Atkinson's Gothic buildings are an important example of this style in the late 18th century.