View of Constable Burton Hall In Yorkshire. This medieval manor, situated near Sproatley village about eight miles from Hull, was developed into a great stately home by the Constable family. Sir John Constable acquired the manor here in the 1560, and his successors improved the 'goodly mansion house of ancient building'. In particular between 1755 to 1785, attention was lavished on it by William Constable who was a great patron of the arts and sciences. He transformed the house and landscaped some of the 300 acres of land.