Byland abbey, Yorkshire 38 c
The monastic community at Byland was originally affiliated to the monastery of Savigny in France, but was absorbed into the Cistercian Order in the 12th century. They settled in the Byland Valley around 1177, where a monastery was built for 36 monks. The church was built in a style similar to certain French cathedrals of the time, with an ambulatory (a covered walkway) and chapels. The abbey survived until Henry VIII's dissolution of monastic houses in the 16th century, but it never became as large or wealthy as other Cistercian houses in Yorkshire.