Christ's College, Cambridge
Engraver: Edy, J.W.
View of the entrance to Christ's College at Cambridge. The college was founded in 1442 but struggled to establish itself until it was refounded in 1505 by Lady Margaret Beaufort, mother of Henry VII. It was around this time that the college courtyard was built. This gateway was built in a similar style to one of Margaret Beaufort's other colleges, St John's. They both have broad tower gatehouses, decorated with lavish carvings of heraldry, and protruding polygonal corner towers. This entrance range was updated in the 18th century. Between 1714-17 it was coated in stone and later on the windows were altered and sashes were added.