Caius College, Cambridge
Engraver: Harraden, J.
View of a courtyard of Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge . This was the second courtyard to be built for the college, in the late 16th century by its second great patron Dr Caius. Dr Caius was a clergyman, physician to Edward VI and Mary Tudor, who refounded 'that poor house now called Gonville Hall' in 1557. Having studied Medicine at Padua, and visited the great Italian cities, he admired Renaissance architecture. He built three gateways in ornamental Renaissance style which were meant to symbolise the passage of students through the college. In this picture, can be seen the Gate of Virtue in the centre of the picture, and the the Gate of Honour to the right. Although it can not be seen in this view, the third was the Gate of Humility. To the left is part of the Chapel, which was built in the 14th century. In 1718 it was refaced in stone, and the buttresses were built which were originally crowned with stone vases, which can be seen in this view.