Engraver: Hassell, J.
View of the Chapel and west front of the east range of Clare College at Cambridge. The college was founded in 1338 by the daughter of Gilbert de Clare. However none of its original medieval buildings remain as most of the college was rebuilt after 1638. In this picture is the chapel, built between 1763-9 to a design by John Burrough and finished after Burrough's death by James Essex. It is of a similar style to Pembroke College's Chapel built by Christopher Wren, but a century later not nearly as radical. It has round arched windows interspersed with Corinthian columns and a balustrade on the roof.