Cathedral Church of Ely
Artist and engraver: Buckler, John
View from the south of Ely Cathedral in Cambridgeshire. A Saxon Minster was founded here and rebuilt after the Norman Conquest. In 1109 Ely was made a Bishopric's see. Its status as a monastic cathedral allowed it to escape destruction in the 1530s when its monastery was dissolved. This print shows the Norman West Tower, the 14th century Octagonal tower, south transept, the Norman nave, and 13th century choir and alter building. The architecture of the building is Romanesque with later inserts in the Gothic style.