Artist: Kynff, L.
Engraving of the house and gardens of Chatsworth, the seat of the Duke and Duchess of Devonshire. The original house here was built on land purchased by Sir William Cavendish in 1549. He died before the house was finished and the building work was completed by his wife Bess of Hardwick. Their younger son became the 1st Duke of Devonshire in 1618 and the house has remained in the family ever since. The house was rebuilt by the 4th Duke in the Classical style between 1686 and 1707. The 105 acres of park and gardens which surround Chatsworth House were landscaped by Capability Brown in the 18th century and they were further developed by head gardener Joseph Paxton in the 19th century.