Colored elevations of three sides of Mr. Hunter's House at Gubbins, or Gobions, in the parish of North Mims, formerly the property of Sir Thomas Moore 64.a
Medium: Ink wash on paper
View of Gubbins or Gobions House in Hertfordshire. The house which lies close to the Great North Road, south of Hatfield, was built in the 16th century for the family of Sir Thomas More. It is thought that the house is named after Sir Jeremy Gobion who owned the house in the 18th century. For many years before this it was known as More Hall after the More family who had built it. In the 18th century the house was enlarged by Sir Jeremy Sambroke and the gardens were landscaped by Charles Bridgeman. It became a popular attraction and was visited by many hundreds of people. In 1838 the house was demolished and all that remains is a red brick arch built by Robert Gaussen.