Colored elevations of three sides of Mr. Hunter's House at Gubbins, or Gobions, in the parish of North Mims, formerly the property of Sir Thomas Moore 64.c
Medium: Ink wash on paper
View of Gubbins House, also known as Gobions House, near Hatfield in Hertfordshire. The house was built in the 16th century for the More family and was originally known as More Hall. In the 18th century the house was renamed- this was thought to be after SirJeremy Gobion who owned the property. A pleasure garden was created in the grounds by Charles Bridgeman and some of the attractions included statues, a grotto, temple and a canal. Daniel Defoe visited the house and called it,
“…one of the most remarkable Curiosities in England”
The house was demolished in 1838 by Robert William Gaussen who incorporated the grounds into his Brookman estate.