Coningsby Hospital, Hereford
Artist: Fisher, S.
View of Coningsby Hospital in the Almshouses in Herefordshire. During the 13th century the site was formerly occupied by a religious house of the order of St John of Jerusalem and part of the building dates from this time. Sir Thomas Coningsby (1551-1625) built twelve almshouses here in 1614. They were to be used as a hospital for retired soldiers and sailors who would be administered to by a Chaplin who also lived on site. The soldiers were given free food and fuel and received a weekly allowance. They were also given an unusual uniform which was based on that of the Chelsea Pensioners Hospital in London. It consisted of a ginger ‘fishon’ suit, a hat with a red and white border, a military style jerkin, a sword and a red cape.