Chilham Church Feb 4th 1759 Kent
Artist: [Grose, Francis]
Medium: Watercolour with pen and ink
View of the large parish church of St Mary at Chilham in Kent. It is situated on the edge of the village square, opposite Chilham Castle. It has a square tower, probably 16th century, in the Gothic Perpendicular style. There is a small octagonal turret on top of the tower. The church is of a good size for a village church with nave, aisles, transept and chancel. Also seen in this view is a domed mausoleum, which was built in 1755 by Sir Robert Taylor (later demolished when the church was restored in the 19th century).