Cliff Parsonage, near Rochester Kent 1785
This is the old rectory attached to St Helen's Church at Cliffe-at-Hoo in Kent. It is a medieval stone house, probably built in the mid 13th century. By the 14th century the grandest houses in Kent and almost all houses built by for clergy were of stone. Having a stone, rather than timber house had a certain social cachet. Cliffe-at-Hoo was a valuable benefice and in the first half of the 14th century, it was held by a succession of distinguished clergymen, who also held high church offices elsewhere. This view is especially interesting because it shows the rectory, before its extensive alterations in the 19th century.