Ceiling of Christ Church, Southwark
Artist: [Horne, James]
Medium: Ink wash on paper
Architectural drawing showing a plan of the ceiling of Christ Church in Great Surrey Street (later known as Blackfriars Road) in Southwark. This church was established in 1671 on part of the Paris Garden Manor. However it was rebuilt in 1738-41, probably by James Horne. This shows a highly decorated ceiling, probably of stucco. In the centre is circular panel with ceiling rose, then in each corner are four other panels decorated with swirling patterns of foliage. The church was bombed in the Second World War and later rebuilt.