Canon Park the seat of D O'Kelly Esq.
Medium: Pen and ink on paper
This was one of the most lavish and fashionable mansions of the early 18th century. It was originally built between 1713 and 1720 by the Duke of Chandos who had made a fortune from the lucrative post of Paymaster General. The house did not last long, because the Duke, after losing his fortune in the South Sea Island bubble disaster, had to sell it off (with all its fittings and contents) to pay off his debts. It was replaced by a smaller, less ostentatious mansion by the next owner Joseph Hallet. In 1785 the house was acquired by Irish adventurer and racehorse breeder 'Count' O'Kelly, who was buried in Canon Park.