Cathedral church of Chichester
Engraver: Lewis, FC
Chichester is situated on a flat plain, making a landmark of this cathedral spire. The cathedral was founded on the order of Bishop Ralph de Luffa around AD1080, on the site of a Saxon-era church. It had to be rebuilt after a great fire in 1187, and was renovated and extended periodically over later centuries, with the particular additions of the bell tower (between 1375 and 1430) and the 15th-century spire. Despite its late-medieval embellishments, the fundamentals of the Romanesque cathedral remain. Daniel Defoe visited here in the early 18th century, commenting: "the cathedral here is not the finest in England, but is far from being the most ordinary: The spire is a piece of excellent workmanship."