Castle Stalcher, the Islands of Lismore & Mull, with the Hills of Morven, Sunart &c.
Artist: Riddell, Robert Andrew
Medium: Aquatint, coloured
View of the Stalcher Castle with the islands of Lismore and Mull. The castle stands on the banks of Loch Laich and is believed to have been the site of a small fortified building in the 14th century. Stalcher (which means Hunter or Falconer) Castle dates from the 15th century, and is believed to have been built by Sir John Stewart, the Lord of Lorn. In the 17th century, the castle was taken by the Campbell family who occupied it until 1800 when a more modern house was built on the mainland. The castle became a storehouse and fell into ruin. In 1965, the castle was fully restored by the Stewart Allward family.