Charlemont, Co. Armagh- General View 1680
View of the town of Charlemont in the parish of Loughgall in County Armagh, Ireland, as it was c.1680. The town is situated on the Blackwater River which can also be seen in this watercolour. After the establishment of a garrison here in 1602 by Lord Mountjoy, the town developed under the forts protection and in 1612 it was incorporated into a borough. The fort was destroyed by fire in 1920 however the entrance gate and the outer wall can still be seen today.