Since medieval times there was a ferry service running between the foot of Dachet High Street and Windsor Castle which was provided by the Crown. This was replaced by Queen Anne in 1706 with a bridge for free public use. Datchet was a manor, conveniently situated between London and Windsor and the bridge linked the London road directly to Windsor. This picture shows the replacement to Queen Anne's bridge- a wooden bridge of 10 arches resting on stone pillars. Unfortunately this bridge had collapsed by 1795, causing the Crown to reinstate the ferry. It was to be another 20 years before a new bridge was built as the two opposing counties: Buckinghamshire on the Datchet side of the bridge and Berkshire, on the Windsor side, could not agree on an iron or wooden design. The result in 1812 was "a hideous monstrosity of wood on the Berkshire side, and iron on the Buckinghamshire side"!