Design for a Iron Bridge and Autograph
Artist: Stickney, John
Medium: Ink wash on paper
This is a design for an iron bridge of one arch of 270 feet, over the River Thames between Windsor and Datchet, drawn by John Stickney in 1799. A letter from the designer to Mr William Vaughan dated 15th May 1799, estimated the cost at 5000. At the time there was a huge argument and debate between Buckinghamshire (the Datchet side) and Berkshire (the Windsor side) over what form the bridge should take. The old wooden bridge had collapsed in 1775, only five years after it was built. To substitute for the loss, King George III reinstated the ferry, which had traditionally been provided by the crown since the Middle Ages. Inhabitants had to wait until 1812 for the new bridge finally to be built. It was however not a success and it was described as "a hideous monstrosity of wood on the Berkshire side, and iron on the Buckinghamshire side" and was removed in the 1840s.