Durham from the Lower End of Framwell Gate
Engraver: Jukes & Sarjent
Medium: Aquatint, coloured
View of the City of Durham from Framwellgate. Framwellgate Bridge is the oldest medieval bridge in Durham. It was erected in about 1120 on the wishes of Ranulf Flambard, Prince Bishop of Durham. It was known as the 'old bridge' because it was built 40 years before Elevet Bridge. It crosses the River Wear and connects Silver Street on the bailey peninsula with Framwellgate, the suburb on the western side of the river. In 1760 the gateway tower from the end of Framwellgate Bridge was removed.