Dungeness Barracks in an unfinished state
Medium: Watercolour with pencil, pen and ink
Drawing of some 18th century barracks at Dungeness in Kent. They were built by the Radnor Militia in 1793-4, who left before they were completed in. In the background is the lighthouse in Dungeness. The first lighthouse was built in 1615 when '1000 persons….perished there for want of light' every year. As the sea retreat and shingle was deposited, the lighthouse became further from the sea. Another was built in 1792 by Samuel Wyatt.