Duke of Devonshire's, Chiswick
Medium: Pen and ink on paper
View of the Italianate Gardens in the grounds of Chiswick House, which were filled with temples, statues, obelisks, a cascade and wilderness. Chiswick House at this time was owned by William Cavendish, the 4th Duke of Devonshire who inherited it through his wife the heiress, Lady Charlotte Boyle. Chiswick House was an architecturally important Palladian villa, built in 1727-9 for Richard Boyle, third Earl of Burlington. It was widely admired for its crisp, simple classical design and perfect symmetry. After the publication of its designs in Kent's 'Designs of Inigo Jones' in 1727, it became a much copied model for 18th century aristocratic house.