Drawn View of the Seat of -------- Smith, Esq. At Castle Bear near Ealing
View of an 18th century house which was located on the high ground of Castlebar Hill just north of Ealing. The house was known as Castle Bear House or Castle Hill House. By c.1817 it was owned by Lieut. General Frederick Augustus Wetherall, who was a friend of the Duke of Kent (Queen Victoria's father) who owned the nearby Castle Hill Lodge. By the late 18th century area of Castle Bar Hill was mainly farmland with a few large houses such as the one in the picture. Today Ealing Abbey stands on the spot where the house would have been.