Dunraven House Glamorganshire July 26th 1775
Medium: Ink on paper
Dunraven House –sometimes known as Dunraven Castle because of the castellation on parts of the house and garden walls- was built in 1803 by the Wyndham family. The Welsh name for it was Dundryfan- this referred to a triangular fortress on the site that is thought to have belonged to the ancient Princes of Siluria and of Bran ap Llyr and his son Caradoc ap Bran. Local tradition holds that when the Vaughan family lived on this site in the 16th century they would set up lights on the coastduring storms so that ships would mistake them for harbour lights and be wrecked on the rocks. This would increase the revenue by ‘Wrecks de mer’ which as Lords of the manor they were entitled.