Dryburgh Abbey 46.2.c
Artist: Catton, Charles
View of Dryburg Abbey, near Melrose in Scotland. The Abbey was established in 1150 by Hugo de Morville who brought a community of canons from the Premonstratensian Order to the site from Alnwick Abbey in Northumberland. Dryburg's setting on a bend in the River Tweed, was remote and tranquil- ideal for the monks who lived lives of contemplation and prayer. The original Abbey buildings took over 100 years to build and the church was dedicated to the Blessed Virgin. These buildings were burnt down in 1322 by King Edward II. The rebuilding of the Abbey took over a century however these buildings were again attacked and were destroyed during the Reformation of the 16th century. This print depicts the North Transept of the church- under these arches are the tombs of James Stuart, Sir Walter Scott and Field Marshall Earl Haig who were all buried here.