Medium: Aquatint, coloured
View of the ruins of Dundrum Castle in ireland. Nassau Williams Senior, a 19th century economist wrote the following lines about Dundrum Castle in his ‘Journal of a visit to Ireland, 1862’,
‘The most interesting object is Dundrum castle, finely situated on a hill above the little town. It was built by the Knight’s Templars. Extensive outbuildings surround an inner court, containing perhaps a couple of acres. In the middle of this court, unconnected with any other building rises a solitary round tower, about fifty feet in diameter, and sixty or seventy feet high.’
The castle was built by John de Courcy, following his invasion of Ulster in 1177. It was built to control access to Lecale from the west and south and would have originally been built of earth and timber. In 1204 de Courcy was expelled from Ulster by Hugh de Lacy who strengthened the castle with a massive round keep.