Dublin from Sarah's Bridge
Medium: Aquatint with etching, coloured
View of Dublin with Sarah’s Bridge in the foreground. This Bridge, built in 1791, crosses the River Liffey at a little village called Island Bridge and is about 1 mile from the city centre. The foundation stone of the bridge was laid by Sarah, Countess of Westmorland and the wife of the Lord Lieutenant, giving the bridge its name. Dublin in the 18th century was a growing city, the suburbs were being developed and the population was growing at an unprecedented rate.