View of Dungarvan, County Waterford on the south eastern coast of Ireland. The town was originally named 'Dun Garbhan' which translates as Garbhan’s fort, after Saint Garbhan who built a church here in the seventh century. The Dungarvan Castle, seen in the centre of this drawing, is an Anglo Norman fortification, built by Prince John in 1185. The castle was built in a strategic position on the River Colligan at the point where it meets the sea. From here ships could be anchored, and soldiers could control the narrow strip of land to the south of the Comeragh Mountains. The castle consists of a shell keep with an enclosed curtain wall, a corner tower and a gate tower.