Emanuel College, Cambridge
Engraver: Harraden, J.
View of a front of Emanuel College at Cambridge University. The college was one of two founded in the Elizabethan period. It was established in 1584 by Sir Walter Mildmay, Chancellor of the Exchequer. It was initially one of the smallest colleges with three fellows and only four scholars. The college building are on the site of a the former Dominican Priory of Cambridge. This is the west range of the Front Court, which was one of the newer college buildings at the time this print was made. It was rebuilt in 1769 and as this picture shows, provided an entrance from the college onto the street. It is a classical style building: seventeen bays wide with big three storied pavilions on each corner and a pedimented centre with giant Ionic columns.