East View of St. Peter's Church, St. Albans
Medium: Ink wash on paper
View of St Peter's church in St Albans, Hertfordshire. It is believed that in the 10th century Abbot Ulsinus of St Albans founded three churches in the area- St Peter's, St Stephen's and St Michael's. St Peter's was built in a commanding position at the northern entrance to the town. St Peter's was rebuilt in the 13th century in the traditional cruciform shape (the shape of a crucifix) with a tower at the central point. Unfortunately in the early 19th century the belfry tower fell down, it was rebuilt in brick and at the same time the transepts were demolished and the chancel shortened. In 1893 Lord Grimthorpe refurbished St Peter's Church re-lengthening the chancel and extending the nave by demolishing and rebuilding the north wall. He also re-pitched the roof and restored many of the monuments.