East View of the Black Fryars, Hereford
Artist: Fisher, S.
View of the ruins of the Blackfriars Monastery in Hereford. The monastery is situated behind the Coningsby Hospital and the remains of a house of an order of St John of Jerusalem. The monastery was built in the 14th century for an order of Dominican friars also known as the Blackfriars. There is a short description of the monastery in Pevsner’s work ‘The Buildings of England’. It reads,
“It was begun, after endless quarrels with the cathedral chapter, in 1322. All that remains is the range W of the Cloister and the preaching cross… The original work is characterised by the fact that the W walk of the cloister was recessed into the ground floor of the W range. Two of the three-light openings survive, though concealed in ivy at the time of writing”.