Elevation of one of the fronts and of the entry of the barracks at Berwick begun to build in the year 1717
Architect: [Hawksmoor, Nicholas]
Medium: Ink wash on paper
Berwick upon Tweed is the English town closest to the border with Scotland, passing between English and Scottish ownership 14 times. Consequently it was heavily fortified. The barrack house situated on the parade was built between 1717 and 1721, making it the earliest building of this type in Britain. It was constructed by the Board of Ordnance in the aftermath of the 1715 Jacobite Rebellion, when military sites were appearing throughout the country (notably Woolwich Arsenal and Chatham Naval Dockyard). The barracks was originally designed by Nicholas Hawksmoor but his design was probably simplified.