East View of the Prior's House, of the Black or Dominican Friars, now standing in the City of Oxford
Artist: C[alcott], W[illiam]
Medium: Ink wash on paper
The Dominicans established a priory in Oxford in 1221, preaching to the student population and becoming involved in the theological life of the university. Little of the original Dominican priory survives apart from the road named Blackfriars and a gateway at the north-west corner of the former chapel. It was the first Dominican priory established in England.