East View of the Palace of Aberguilly
The Palace of Abergwili in Carmarthenshire, Wales. The Palace is situated 2 miles from Carmarthen and was the seat of the Bishops of St David’s from 1542 until 1974. The Palace was originally built as a theological college by Thomas Beck in the late 13th century. By the 16th century Bishop Richard Davies (1500-1581) who resided at the Palace was famed for creating the first Welsh translations of the New Testament and prayer Book. Many changes were made to the palace by the different generations of Bishops who lived and worked there but the most significant were made by Lord George Murray in the early 19th century.