East Prospect of the Island of Guernsey
Medium: Ink on paper
View of the Island of Guernsey drawn from the smaller Channel island of Jethou. The Channel Islands were once part of Normandy but when King John relinquished the territory of Normandy to Philip II of France in 1204, the Islands remained loyal to the English crown. Official possession of the islands actually changed hands six times between the two powers. In 1215 in return for their loyalty, King John granted the Islands certain rights and privileges which enabled them to be virtually self-governing. A number of locations such as St Martin’s Church, Cornet Castle and St Peter Port have been located and are clearly marked.