Elevation of the New Barracks built at Fort William Henry, 1756
Artist: Abercromby, Captain
Medium: Ink and colours on paper
Plan of the barracks at Fort William Henry in America. The fort was built in 1756 as part of a number of defences built by English forces to counteract fortifications built by French troops in the same region. The fort is situated on Lake George which is part of an important waterway between Canada and the New Colonies and so strategically was very important as it controlled access to the trade and supply routes. In 1757 the fort was captured by French troops from Fort Carillion under orders from General Marquis de Montcalm. The fort featured in J. Fenimore Cooper’s novel the ‘Last of the Mohicans’.