Gofs near Gofs Oake in the Parish of Chestnut, in the county of Hertfordshire
Medium: Ink on paper
View of a Manor House built near Goffs Oak in the west of the county of Hertfordshire. For many years it was thought that the town was its name from an old oak tree which was planted in the 11th century by Sir Theodore Godfrey, a follower of William the Conqueror. This legend has held for many years and when a large and ancient oak tree which stood in the town was blown down by a storm in 1950 a sapling oak, grown from an acorn from the old tree was planted in its place. It has recently been suggested that in fact the name dates from the Saxon period and that it is a corruption of the word ‘Cuffley’.