Grand Tournament in the presence of Emperor Charlemagne. As exhibited in the splendid popular equestrian pantomime of the Magic Flute
Medium: Aquatint with etching
Scene of an equine pantomine performed at the Royal Circus, St George's Field. In 1782 the 'Royal Circus and Equestrian Philharmonic Academy was opened by Charles Hughes and Charles Dibdin in Blackfriars Road, Southwark. As there used to be a riding school here, the owners sought to combine theatrical entertainment with the equine world. They aimed 'to have a stage on which might be represented spectacles, each to terminate with a joust or tilting match, so managed as to form a novel and striking coup de theatre, and that the business of the stage and ring might be reunited'. In 1809 it was converted to a theatre and later became known as the Surrey Theatre.