Artist: Wilson, W.
Medium: Aquatint, coloured
View of Glasgow Cathedral, in Scotland. The cathedral is situated on the banks of the River Clyde and this site was first used by St Ninian as a Christian burial ground in the 5th century. In the 6th century St Kentigern, often known as Mungo, came to this area and founded a monastic community, built a church and was buried here. The original church was built from wood and it was not until 1136 that Bishop John consecrated the first stone building. The Cathedral was extended and various aspects were added by successive generations of Bishops between the 13th and 15th centuries. Glasgow’s cathedral was the only one to have completely survived the destruction of the 16th century Reformation.